How To Apply For An Emergency Canadian Passport?
Canada among many other countries makes use of ePassport which is issued to Canadian citizens. An e-Passport like the Canadian passport is a 36-page book that has a data chip in it. It contains basic information about, which can be used to identify a traveler.
When you travel across countries, as a citizen of Canada, you are required to have your passport with you as a means of identification. Before you are allowed into a country, you will be required to provide your passport which will be scanned to determine your identity.
According to Montreal-based financial firm Arton Capital’s Global Passport Index, the Canadian passport is valued as the 10th best in the world.
With a Canadian passport, you can visit over 114 different countries without a visa.
What are the benefits of having a Canadian passport?
- To help identify you and reduce fraud or identity theft.
- A Canadian passport is used to identify Canadian citizens anywhere in the world
- An e-Passport helps to uniquely identify a person’s country of origin, which country a traveler is coming from, and where they are going.
- Enhanced Privacy protection
- Ease of handling entry and exit at border controls with automated passport readers.
Requirement and Documents Needed to Apply for a Canadian Passport
- Proof of Canadian citizenship
- A valid document that authenticates your identity
- Two identical passport photograph
- A valid and recent Canadian travel document issued to you in your name.
- Your application form signed within the past 12 months and duly certified by a guarantor.
- Additional documents may be required (Such as language test score) in their original copies, and those not written in English or French will be submitted along with a proper translation.
Steps To Get Your Own Canadian Passport
To apply for a Canadian passport, you must be 16 years and above, and a Canadian citizen. Parents or guardians may apply for their young children. Here a few steps to apply with
- Download or get the Application form from IRCC official website, or the Passport office directly.
- Fill out the form correctly and sign each page of the application form.
- Attach all documents that are vital along with the form, especially the 2 identical passport photographs.
- Get a guarantor and 2 references that will help confirm your identity.
Your guarantor can be:
- Anyone who has known you for at least 2 years;
- Must be a Canadian citizen above 18 years;
- Should have a valid Canadian passport, or at least have a passport that has not expired for more than a year.
- Submit your application to the appropriate Passport office or portal, and pay all the required fees.
- Pick up your new passport.