Perform object measurements with the iPhone
Apple is promoting the use of augmented reality on their computers and that is why iOS 12 included a application called ‘Measures’. With this we can use our camera to be able to measure any object in a really comfortable way. We simply have to follow the following steps:
- Check that you have your iPhone, iPad or iPod in iOS 12 or higher.
- Open the ‘Measures’ application that you will have on the main screen. If you do not have it installed, you can find it in the App Store.
- When opening the application you must move the iPhone above the surface where the object you are going to measure rests. As soon as I am totally calibrated, a circle will appear with a point in the center.
- Place this central point, at the point where you want to start the measurement.
- Click on ‘+’ sign that we find at the bottom and a line will appear that we must move to the other point where we want to finish the measurement. Once we have reached the second point we must click on the ‘+’ icon again.
The measurement result will appear in the center of the line. We can go making successive measurements in this way and all will be stored and even if we move the mobile device we can continue to see all these measurements. In addition it is not necessary that we go pointing on a paper the results since we can take a picture by clicking on the shutter icon that we find in the lower right corner.
Measure an area easily
If the mobile devicel detects that we are focusing on a rectangular or square surface automatically show us your area. But if it does not appear automatically, we can place the measuring point in one of the corners and go through each of these to highlight the surface area we want to measure. If we click on the result it gives us, it will give us much more information, such as the diagonal length. As in the previous case we can take a picture to store these measurements in our photo gallery.
As you can see, it is really easy to make a measurement with our iPhone thanks to augmented reality. In the end both the tape measure and the traditional ruler have been relegated to the background Because of this technology. Obviously we must keep in mind that the accuracy of this method may not be the best but it allows us to take quick measures to anything.
And you, have you used this feature of iOS in your day to day?